Weekly Photo Challenge; Big

This isn’t my photo (‘really’ I hear you cry!!) but it makes me feel really really small, and that the universe is so unimaginably BIG

Original caption: “View of the Earth as seen by the Apollo 17 crew travelling toward the moon. This translunar coast photograph extends from the Mediterranean Sea area to the Antarctica south polar ice cap. This is the first time the Apollo trajectory made it possible to photograph the south polar ice cap. Note the heavy cloud cover in the Southern Hemisphere. Almost the entire coastline of Africa is clearly visible. The Arabian Peninsula can be seen at the north-eastern edge of Africa. The large island off the coast of Africa is Madagascar. The Asian mainland is on the horizon toward the north-east.”

“Suddenly, from behind the rim of the Moon, in long, slow-motion moments of immense majesty, there emerges a sparkling blue and white jewel, a light, delicate sky-blue sphere laced with slowly swirling veils of white, rising gradually like a small pearl in a thick sea of black mystery. It takes more than a moment to fully realize this is Earth . . . home.”

Edgar Mitchell

Weekly Photo Challenge: Share a picture which meansΒ BIG to you!

Advertisements

Born in Dublin, living in London with Peter, my two daughters, Wilson our Spaniel & Woordow our Malshih (Shih Tzu-Maltese cross)
This entry was posted in Photography, Physics, Science, Space and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge; Big

1. grannymar says:

I am smaller than a grain of sand.

2. Barbara says:

Infinitesimally so

3. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Big | Life of 24 Hours

4. Northern Narratives says:

Great choice for the challenge.

Thank you!

I had been saving the photo for my growing “Favourite Quotations” page which I will publish when I get get time to add them all (or at least a decent number of them), but I get impatient to post things once I have them ready, so was very glad to be able to use this one πŸ™‚

5. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Big 1 « What's (in) the picture?

6. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Pole Vault (Big 2) « What's (in) the picture?

7. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: BIG… | Mirth and Motivation

8. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Big FOOT! « patriciaddrury

9. danajoward says:

Wonderful photo choice for the post. Beautifully done! πŸ™‚

10. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge – Big | Just Snaps

11. eof737 says:

I love that one… Definitely huge and in your face. πŸ˜‰

12. Arindam says:

Great picture. Really nice interpretation of the theme. πŸ™‚

And to think, our universe is one of the smaller ones.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )