Don’t look at this post if you don’t want to see the grub from my log pile!

I found the grub from my log-pile

He was most definitely a melolontha-melololontha – or in English; a Cockchafer Beetle Grub, and a BIG one!

Picture from

Born in Dublin, living in London with Peter, my two daughters, Wilson our Spaniel & Woordow our Malshih (Shih Tzu-Maltese cross)
This entry was posted in Gardening and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Don’t look at this post if you don’t want to see the grub from my log pile!

1. grannymar says:

What a grubby post!! 😆 I like the first photo is that your art work or some coral?

I made this when I was visiting the V&A museum with the girls at Easter. I was playing about with a comic making programme while waiting for them to come out of a class, and made this. I thought it was a good cover photo as some people really do NOT like seeing large beetle grubs on their computers!! It was even more scary in my hand!! I wish I had taken a photo of it myself, but once I picked it up I just wanted to rehouse him ASAP!

I’m sure he felt the same 🙂

2. I am with you on your Cockchafer ID. I presume you did check that it had a transverse anal opening, that’s the real clincher. 🙂

Afraid not….. I gently picked it up & moved it to its new home!!! I didn’t feel much like examining it further 😦 too scary! Have looked at a good few photos since though & it definitely looks like a Cockchafer to me, but I’m no expert!!

3. blackwatertown says:

It’s a biggie! Like something out of the Quatermass Experiment.

Eeeeeww.! That looks like the main course on a Survivor episode.

5. rarasaur says:

It’s sort of… beautiful. Don’t you think? I think it’s the perfect little dotting along it’s side… stylish. 🙂

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )